A new home for AYO
When looking for a new home for AYO, we set ourselves the following requirements. The future port / marina should:
– Be independent of the tide, so it should be possible to leave the harbor regardless of the water level.
– A weekend sailing should be possible.
– Easily accessible, a maximum of 1-2 hour drive to the ship
– The boat should be able to remain in the water during winter
– The environment should be attractive
– The costs should not be exorbitant
– Our ship should be well protected
– The bridge should not be too shaky
Some of the criteria have already excluded many ports and we have limited ourselves to inquiries for marinas in Bremerhaven, Cuxhaven and Wilhelmshaven, as these are the only ports in the vicinity that are independent of the tide and can be reached quickly by car. Everything beyond the Elbe means a much longer journey.
After we had obtained information from all ports and visited them after the first exclusions, we decided on the City Marina Cuxhaven. We drove to Cuxhaven on January 20th, 2021 and looked at the marina together with the harbor master and finally signed a contract for a berth until April 1st, 2022. We look forward to April when we are back in the water and AYO can bring us to Cuxhaven.